If you have any feedback on how we can make our new website better please do contact us. We would like to hear f
Our facilities include:
  • Comfortable Members Bar
  • Committee/meeting room
  • Function Suite with or without kitchen facilities
  • Two snooker tables (Members/Members' guests only)
  • Darts and dominos (Members/Members' guests only)
  • Sam Smiths beers and lager
  • Carling lager
  • Ample car parking
  • Car parking spaces to let please ask for availability
  • Free WiFi

Please use the feed back form to make further enquiries.

A short history of the Club

By the middle of the eighteenth century clubs had started to open across the country as meeting venues for members of the two main political parties.

The Shipley Conservative Association (SCA) wanted to have meeting rooms and there were many different views of what was required. In April 1885 the Old Fire Station in Atkinson Street (see photographs page) became available to rent and SCA moved in. It is interesting to note that no beer was sold by this club! There were many problems and the club closed in March 1901.

After the Liberal Unionists and the Conservatives amalgamated it was clear that the new Shipley Unionist Association (SUA) needed a home and rooms in Dale Street were rented with the new club opening in October 1909. This second club became affiliated and inter-affiliated to the Association of Conservative Clubs in 1910.

In 1914 Shipley Hall Estate Co. Ltd., purchased Shipley Old Hall using funds raised by Unionist businessmen. The Old Hall was let to SUA (later Shipley Unionist Club (SUC)) until it was purchased from the company 1932. Christmas 1919 saw the Shipley Divisional Unionist Association (formed in 1885) move from Thornton Road to rent free accommodation at the SUC.

In 1947 the SUC became a Conservative Club and has been the Shipley Conservative Club ever since. Thus the second club has been supporting the Conservative and Unionist Party since 1909.

This is only a very short history of the Club, another success from the Conservatives. It is hoped that the full story can be written shortly.

C .M .Clapham


November 2010


From The Bradford Observer of 4 July 1867


The Executive Committee have great pleasure in announcing that a Grand Banquet will take place at the Sun Hotel, on Wednesday, July 1oth, 1867, to Inaugurate the Working Men's Conservative Association of Shipley.

A report of the event appeared in the 11 July 1867 edition of the newspaper.


From The Leeds Times of 2 June 1877


We recently stated that this precious concern, in which politics and political education were at a heavy discount, and chess and billiards had assumed the precedence, had collapsed; and now we, to finish up, have to state that on Tuesday the effects of the club were sold by Mr. William Booth, auctioneer. The billiard tables, by Mawson, of Leeds , with all the balls, cues, racks, chandeliers, &c., were sold, one for £47 and the other foe £49. But whether the amount realised will cover all demands due we cannot say.



Opening of the New Club

15 February 1915

A new Unionist Club was opened at Shipley on Saturday afternoon, and despite the inclemency of the weather there was a large gathering. For some years Shipley Unionists have felt the want of new club premises. Two years ago it was determined to endeavour to supply the want, and with the object of providing a fitting centre for the party a bazaar was held. It was hoped either to build or buy premises, but the outbreak of the war put a stop to any such ambitious scheme. The promoters, however, did not entirely suspend their efforts, they merely modified their plans. Instead of building or buying premises they have now leased a portion of Shipley Low Hall, formerly the home of the Wainwrights, lords of the Manor of Shipley. The delightful old house is situated immediately opposite the Post Office, and it has been skilfully and withal tastefully adapted to the purpose for which it has been taken. The men have the use of the ground floor, where there is a billiard-room (large enough to accommodate two tables), smoke room, bar, committee room and lounge. Upstairs there are neatly furnished rooms for the use of the ladies, and a large assembly room. The alterations were carried out under the superintendence of Mr. W. R. Anderson, architect, whilst the contractors were Councillor H. Pitts, builder, Mr. Ives, plasterer, Messrs Bagnall, decorators, Messrs Stoll & Co., electric fittings, and Mr. E .Kay plumbing. The opening ceremony was presided over by Mr. J. A. Burton who was supported by Mr. F. W. J. Butterfield (prospective Unionist candidate for the Shipley Division Unionist Association), Councillor E. F. Rhodes (chairman of the club), Mr. S. Rhodes (secretary), Mr. J. A. Cliffe (treasurer), Mrs. Frank Rhodes (president of the Women’s Unionist Association), Miss Cowie 9secretary), Mrs. Thompson (treasurer), Councillors L. Shackleton, Harry Pitts, and E. Bateman, and Mr. S. H. Servant.

Apologies for non attendance were received from Major F. C. Foster (who was to have opened the club, but was unable to attend due to indisposition), Lieutenant Hatch, Mr. G. C. Waud (Baildon), Mr. and Mrs. J. J. Oddy, Mr. and Mrs. J. M. Tankard (Baildon), Dr. Bonner, and Mr. and Mrs. Sutcliffe Smith (Baildon).

Mr. F. C. Fay, vice chairman of the committee, gave details of the scheme. He said that instead of spending £4,000 - £5,000 on a new building they had taken Shipley low Hall on a ten year lease and had made such alterations as would provide for the work of the men’s and women’s associations. It was estimated that the standing charges apart from the ordinary club purposes would be from £70 - £100 per annum. Every member must be a shareholder, but in order that it should be really democratic the subscription was only five shillings per year and the qualification for membership was the holding of five shares of the low face value of one shilling each. Whilst the committee would be glad to receive larger subscriptions from those who could afford to pay more, no member would have any greater advantage than another

The Chairman said the people generally were beginning to realise that the Conservative party was not essentially a selfish party, and that it was sincerely desirous of assisting sound progress and working for the country to which they belonged. The club should be a centre for patriotic policies, never was there a time when it was more necessary than the present day. The great necessity after the war would be a national feeling which would impel all classes to work together as one for the common good. The typical English ideal, the patriotic ideal of loyalty to those institutions under which in England freedom had ”broadened down from precedent to precedent “, was safe only in the hands of the Unionist party.

Mr. J. H. Robinson formally declared the club open. He paid arm tribute to the Ladies for the enthusiasm which they had put into the work and observed that the club was a monument to the Lady Unionists of Shipley, without whom he feared the scheme would have come off very badly.

Mr. Rhodes remarked that at Shipley they had one of the best bands of workers obtainable. Previously they had been short of a suitable centre, but now they had got the accommodation they required they could face the future with good heart and good hope (applause). Mr. Ayrton spoke of the “old days” when the Unionists of Shipley had club rooms in Atkinson Street, and wound up by wishing the Unionist party in the Shipley Division every success.

Tea was served after the opening ceremony, and vocal items were admirably rendered by Miss Shaw and Mr. T. H. Carroll.


(c) 2008 - 2019 Shipley Conservative Club Limited, Low Hall, 82 Otley Road, Shipley, BD18 3SA. Registered under the Co-operatives and Community Benefit Societies Act 2014. Register number 4947R. Affiliated and Inter-affiliated to The Association of Conservative Clubs since 1910.


The Club operates the CHALLENGE 21 SCHEME.

  Site Map